Two violent offenders have been jailed for life after committing armed cash-in-transit robberies

Scott Berridge, 41, of St Clements Close, West Drayton, and Anwar Shah, 51, of no fixed abode were sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court on Friday, 24 August to life imprisonment.

Berridge was convicted of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence following a two-day trial at the same court, and plead guilty to armed robbery and attempted armed robbery at an earlier hearing.
Two Violent Offenders Have Been Jailed For Life After Committing Armed Cash-in-transit Robberies
Shah plead guilty to wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and armed robbery at an earlier hearing.

These sentences follow a joint operation between the Metropolitan Police Service’s Flying Squad and Thames Valley Police (TVP).

Two Violent Offenders Have Been Jailed For Life After Committing Armed Cash-in-transit Robberies

Officers from TVP were called on 3 January to reports of an armed robbery of G4S guards making a cash delivery and collection outside Nationwide in High Street, Chesham, Buckinghamshire.

One of two custodians making the delivery was robbed of a cash box containing a quantity of cash as he returned from the store towards his van. Berridge, who had his face covered with a balaclava, approached the guard and pointed a gun at him before ordering him to drop the box. He picked it up and fled to a vehicle Shah had parked nearby.

No shots were fired during the robbery and the guard was not injured.

The Metropolitan Police Service’s Flying Squad were made aware of the robbery by TVP and a joint operation – codenamed Op Nano – was launched.

The vehicle used in the robbery was identified, and specially trained officers from the Flying Squad used a range of covert tactics to identify and monitor both suspects.

On 5 February, Berridge and Shah attempted to carry out a further cash in transit robbery at Nationwide, High Street, West Drayton.

Berridge was positioned outside in a vehicle, while Shah approached a guard making a cash delivery. During a struggle Shah stabbed the guard in his left forearm.

Moments later, detectives from the Flying Squad swooped and arrested both suspects at the scene.

Nothing was stolen during the robbery. The guard’s suffered a hand injury and has since made a full recovery.

Berridge and Shah were both on life licences after being released from prison for previous armed robberies.

T/Detective Chief Inspector Scott Hartley, of the Met’s Flying Squad, said: “I am incredibly proud of the work of my officers in identifying, monitoring, and eventually apprehending these incredibly violent offenders. Both Berridge and Shah have a history of committing violent, audacious robberies and show no regard for the welfare of anyone in the commission of their crimes. It is incredibly lucky that the guard injured in this incident was not more seriously injured.

“The imprisonment of these men should send a clear message to anyone considering on committing acts of violence, we will do everything within our power to identify and arrest you.

“This job would not have been possible without the support of Thames Valley Police, with whom we worked closely throughout the entire investigation. We are grateful for their support and efforts to bring these offenders to justice.”

Secured By miniOrange